In surfing my other blog: thinning of a fat man , I found a Recipe that I don’t have to write out! Nice!!!
A Middle Eastern Meatball! As a lover of the Italian Meatballs, (my preferred cheat food), I wholeheartedly consume these for lunch in a wrap or pita, (Josephs), in pasta as a meatball, or just on their own!
This recipe was is a modification of the recipe I found at: https://nutritionrefined.com/air-fried-falafel/ The Nutrition Refined Blog
- 2 cups dried chickpeas measured after being soaked*
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I use 4)
- 3/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chickpea flour
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (I use 1 tsp.)
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt (I use 1/2 tsp.)
The Night Before ->
Make sure soak your garbanzo beans (chic peas). You do not cook them, just add the chick peas to the bowl and add water about an inch over the beans. After sitting in water overnight the quantity will be more than two cups if you add two cups of dried, but only put about 2 cups of chic peas into the food processor after soaking. You may freeze the rest, or use them in another dish, like humus.
The Next Day ->
Add all the ingredients into a food processor, after washing, draining and drying the peas. Use the pulse feature to get all the ingredients chopped. Knock down the mix and pulse again. Repeat until all the ingredients are well mixed but not smooth like a humus. The end product should be source but finely.
Making the Felafel ->
- Preheat Air fryer 5 minutes
- Make 1 inch ball from felafel mixture (only make what you will eat and store the rest in a covered container in the fridge)
- Cook in Air fryer on 375 degrees for 13-15 minutes depending on your air fryer
Modifications are at your own risk, but I think I am going to add a 1/2 hot pepper (jalapeno)!
Spicy sweet potato 🍠 chili 🌶 is a modification of the “World Famous” 3 bean chili 🌶 of old. The staple of any good vegans diet. The addition of air fried sweet potatoes kicks the dish up to unholy goodness!
- 1 medium to large onion (I prefer sweet onions)
- 1 lbs of mushrooms (baby bells, portabella)
- 1 whole green pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2-4 cloves of garlic (I use the roasted garlic at whole foods when I can)
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 -4 Italian long hot pepper
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can of chic peas
- 1 can of pinto or white or red kidney beans (your choice)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs of minced or dried basil
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 tbs ground black pepper
- 1-2 tbs of chilli powder
- 1 ts cayenne pepper
- 3-4 cans of diced or crushed tomatoes (diced if fresh need tomato paste 1 tbs) I prefer Rienzi (low sodium content and consistent quality
- 1 -2 air fried potatoes cubed
- Hummus for body or as a thickener
- Cauliflower or broccoli including stems
- Corn if fresh off the cob
- Any Veggie of choice
- Colored Bell Pepper (seasonal for aesthetics
Cube the sweet potatoes skin off; then spray them with small amount of olive oil, toss, add black pepper, cayenne pepper, and roasted garlic powder (1/2 tsp each). Toss again and airfry on high for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Large Saute Pan on a medium heat, brown onions and bell peppers, (I prefer to caramelize over a lower heat). Then add the mushrooms and other veggies, but not the diced tomatoes or garlic. Just before you add the tomatoes, throw in the garlic quickly saute for 30 seconds, and then add in the tomatoes and paste(if needed). Finally add the air fried sweet potatoes.
Simmer on low for HOURS until the tomatoes caramelize on the sides and thicken. Although not necessary, add to crock pot and let stand as long as you can stand it…:)
You have the choice: 1. No base carbohydrates 2. Rice 3. your favorite PASTA…
Add Felafel or quinoa meatball, some might even make a incredible meatball. I prefer Real, but hey I’m vegan. (search for Nick’s Felafel recipe, oh ya! he Does not share this recipe, you will have to SETTLE for mine)
A Felafel wrap is a staple in the Tomassetti Vegan Diet. It is usually a part of the lunch menu.
- Joseph’s Lavish Bread – two cut in half
- Joseph’s Hummus – 1 tbs
- Guacamole – 1 tbs
- jalapeno 1/2 sliced
- Hot Sauce
Putting it together
Place the lavish bread or wrap of choice on a plate (larger is better), then add the hummus and Guatemala spreading it evenly in the middle. Then place thinly slice jalapeño on top, adding hot sauce. Slice the Felafel in 1/2 and placing them on top. Add the spinach to the mix before tucking the sides first, then rolling from on end into a wrap.
Modify to make it your own!
You can add onion, bell peppers, and change the type of wrap.
This wrap was inspired by Pic Pocket in Wakefield RI, the best wraps in the world! Now in Westerly RI.
Hook trying the felafel